Tuesday, September 13, 2005

 

The Evolution of the Dark Side of the Moog

Pete Namlook & Klaus Schulze
Ambient World (Germany)



Not only is this my first listen to any of this long running series, but I also got it just days prior to hearing about Robert Moog falling ill due to a brain tumor. His passing compelled me to give it a listen again, and his spoken introduction makes me both sad and yet also introspective at the music revolution he launched as is apparent from this album. As a friend told me that this sounds like a long lost Jean-Michel Jarre album, and I'd have to agree. It's very deliberately old-school-save for the occasional not-too-ancient sounding drum machine
- and happily so. One could imagine futuristic (by late seventies reckoning) spaceships careening around the room, Carl Sagan in his dandelion-seed spaceship or recall a lysergic memory or two from the pre-Reagan era. Namlook and Schulze lay down big fat Moog lines in a giant, cosmic reverb-y void. All the song titles reference a Pink Floyd song, albeit in a cheeky, rearranged manner (Phantom Heart Brother, Careful With That AKS Peter, etc.) but it's not very Floydian. Folks who stopped listening to music after Tomita, Vangelis Tangerine Dream peaked can have a reason to rejoice and lament no more that the future ain't what it used to be. I've been listening to it for weeks and I'm still not sick of it.

Comments:
bought and then sold lots of namlook stuff in the mid 90s (i think) - the only thing I kept is the thing he did with Mixmaster Morris (he of "I think therefore I ambient") called Dreamfish... still really good i reckon
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?