Monday, July 04, 2005

 

20 Jazz Funk Greats

Throbbing Gristle
Mute/Grey Area



What a stoop I was to have never bought this album until now!
I even enjoyed the few cuts from it that I heard on compilations, but never got around to buying it. I was more or less put off from it by reviews calling this TG's most accessible record, rather than nearly every other critic's misapprehension over the title; I may not have been the sharpest knife in the drawer in the early eighties, but even I knew the name of that album, coupled with the faux-easy listening cover photo was a clever gag from GPO and crew.
No, I had no real valid excuse for not adding this wonderful album to my collection, none at all. I
'm glad I did though, and find it's a perfect middle ground between the gritty minimalism found on earlier releases and the pop sounds of their later singles and Chris N' Cosey's post TG albums. The instrumental pieces really paint a frightening, post industrial landscape that hearken back to the days when Burroughs and Phil K, Dick were what we thought the future would look like.
It does and it doesn't, but this is a fine record. Don't wait 20+ years to buy it like I did.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?